A forum for mommies seeking to create a peaceful home...

Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweet dreams

Today was just another day waking up before the sunrise, exercising (since it's the only time I truly can), making breakfast, and getting everyone, me and the little one, ready for the day. It was library day. There were going to be story time and kids her age to play with, a good social interaction. Unfortunately as story time ends it is time that my little one needs a nap. So library days through my nap schedule off by 30 minutes. Some people would say who cares just relax it's not like they are going to die. True it isn't going to kill them but it could kill the rest of our week. Granted I don't put her down at the same exact minute every day. It is always in between a 30 minute range but story time again unfortunately is at the end of my window. As my darling crawled around looking for toys to play with I could see a little restless look on her face. I had just meant a new mom and didn't want to break up our conversation and I thought that my dear could play for just a little longer. Soon enough I had little hands reaching up to me wanting to lay her head on my shoulder. She even knew it was nap time. She didn't try to continue playing with toys or other children but wanted to go home to sleep. We said our goodbyes and headed back home. Sleepy cries came from the back seat and than silence staring out the window. As we climb the stairs to her room she laid her head on my shoulder again. Coming to her bed she reached out her arms for her favorite blanket and fluffy dog. Now there is peace and sweet dreams.

I am thankful that my girl likes taking naps. Never complaining about being put into her crib just wants to hold on to her blanket. I started her schedule naps around 4 months. At that time naps never seemed to be regular but by the time she was 5 months I knew when she needed them. She gets plenty of sleep and seems to be happier when she does.
"Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, M.D. is the book I recommend. It has taught me a lot and helped me to have a GREAT sleeper.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO glad you found that book with your first baby, Natalie. I didn't read it until my fourth (who wasn't as naturally inclined to want to sleep as my first three were). For those who haven't read it, be sure to check at the library. Definitely worth a read, then you'll probably purchase :)
    Hooray for nap time...and story time. Your post brought back such happy memories for me of taking Mike and then Connor also to story time. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Natalie,
    You are such a great Mommy. Little Ella knows that you love her...especially because she can depend on you!!! I am so proud of you...and thankful for you sharing your stories of motherhood. Lots of love to you today!!!!

    ReplyDelete