A forum for mommies seeking to create a peaceful home...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Advice needed on TV-watching

I'm in need of some advice and encouragement... I'm hoping to give up TV-watching for Lent (and maybe beyond that). I was reading through your posting, Mandy, on Feb 5, 2010 (entitled The Beginning) about needing distractions as a stay-at-home mom and it hit close to home. I do try to avoid running around like crazy on errands (because I remember you talking about this issue a while back!), but my version of distracting myself comes in the form of keeping the TV on during the day. I feel like having the voices in the background keeps me from feeling alone in the house. Of course, I'm not alone - Josh is there and Christ is present and the Saints and angels are there, too! I think I will feel more at peace in the long-run if I can break the habit. I am looking forward to not getting sucked in to watching TV and being able to use my time more wisely, but I am dreading the feeling of being alone. Any advice?

I've thought about the radio as an alternative - unfortunately, we can't pick up my favorite Christian radio station in the house. I can get it online, but that would require me repositioning my laptop several times a day everyday. The alternative would be to keep sticking new CDs in the CD player all day long. Maybe it's worth the hassle and I should just try it out and not complain. :)

BTW, thanks for the reminders that this Lenten season is really about drawing nearer to the heart of Christ. That's what I needed to hear!

4 comments:

  1. Mireya, you are not alone in this. When I had my first (and second) born, I had the television on ALL DAY LONG. My husband was in the military and we pretty much never saw him and I couldn't stand the quiet of what felt like an empty house.
    I eventually forced myself to stop and I did use the radio more. At the time I had an MP3 player and we got a docking station for it and I loaded it up with music and of course had hours of music that way. It really did help. I did miss the television a lot (as did my boys) but it was a blessing in the end. I would also listen to books or lectures on cd while in the kitchen cooking. That felt a little more like a conversation, some one keeping me company while doing tasks.
    After the initial shock of no television wore off, I actually began to enjoy some of the peace. That could have been because around that time we added our third and the house became plenty noisy on its own, but I really think cutting ties with the television helped me to reflect on the joys of life a bit more.
    I pray you will be encouraged, strengthened, and find new delights in your day as you break the habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. One of our favorite singers to keep on all day is Fernando Ortega...just love his voice and soothing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetest Mireya,
    I want to agree...that it is a blessing because the television helps you to not feel so alone...which is a VERY healthy and good thing...especially when you just have a "non-talker" at home. The good of feeling connected far out weighs the habit of watching in my opinion. To not get sucked in to watching I put in a million good musicals. For one, I could get house work done and not get sucked in but two the positive songs and interaction made me smile when I would pass it and it would fill my mind with cheerful thoughts. Maybe try a good musical like "The Music Man" or "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (not a drama like the Sound of Music) I encourage you to get to know the old classics...their kind way of conversing and living has always inspired me. Maybe give up TV when you have 2 or three kids and you have plenty of company! Just a thought. Anywho...I am going to look up Mr. Ortega...Katie's recommendations are ALWAYS good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Mandy - it's not TV in-and-of itself that is the problem. There is good stuff out there - I will keep that in mind!

    Katie, love the idea of the audio books! I've always loved being read to! :) I think the mp3 player is going to be the way to go, too. We are using it right now to create whitenoise in the nursery but it should be the easiest to move around the house.

    Thanks for the advice and prayers!

    BTW: Day 1 sans TV went really well - I felt more focused all around.

    ReplyDelete