A forum for mommies seeking to create a peaceful home...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Garden Boxes

Dear All,
I finally got spring fever!!! I was looking out on my small patio/yard thinking..."I love gardening. How can I do it this year?" My yard is small and sloping so, it wouldn't be easy to garden in the ground and we plan on moving this summer potentially to a bigger yard/home and I need to keep the grass nice to sell. On that note I have decided to make some big garden boxes...maybe 8' by 2'...or4'...I thought it would be nice if the boys could help me build four of them and we could plant corn and veggies all around the patio!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea, Amanda. Do you have any flower beds in the back? Might be fun to make one just exploding with color. I'm praying that this is a year with rain, last year was so hard to garden or tend flowers so we are really geared up for it this year! Mike, Connor and Annie want sunflowers in our yard, so you have to share with me what seeds or plants you have used. I know you've grown enormous sunflowers before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunflowers are my favorite flower to grow!!! They are so miraculous!!!! Make sure that you by the "Mammoth" seeds and give each two feet of space between each planting. Water them WELL at night and you will be surprised at how quickly they peek their heads out of the ground! With all of your land...you all can plant a sunflower tunnel. Two rows...a pathway and then two more rows...When the sunflowers get tall enough you can arch and innertwine the heads to make the tunnel. Kids love the play space! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think I should do some flower beds or just fill several pots with my favorites? What do you enjoy planting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pots... so you can bring them into the garage if we get more cold weather this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea Mireya...I think I will do that!! :)

    ReplyDelete